Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 1: Monday

Breakfast:
1 package of Better Oats (.20)
Small handful of organic raisins (.15)
Soy Latte (had to have coffee!) (coffee .46 + soy .37))
Total:  $1.18

Lunch:
Quinoa Salad (quinoa, almonds, garbanzo beans, spices, dried cranberries): (.78)
Carrot sticks (.18)
Banana (.25)
Total: $1.21

Snacks (I love to snack!):
Yogurt (.45)
Granola Bar (.25)
Green Tea  (.12)
Total: $0.82

Dinner: I will be feeding 4 people for dinner but chose to not increase my $$ allotment.
Bree's Lentil Soup (lentils, tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices, broth): ($5.52)
Corn Muffins (mix, eggs, oil, soy): ($1.79)
Brownies (eggs, oil): ($1.53)
Total: $8.84

Evening Tea: (.12)

Day 1 Total:  $12.17
I know, it's supposed to be $7 per day but I plan to make up for it during the week.

Recipes:
Quinoa Salad: (Note: I skipped the golden raisins and mint).
Have you tried quinoa? It's considered a superfood with the perfect balance of all 8 essential amino acids. It's gluten-free and a great source of protein. I bought one cup in the bulk section for a total of $2.22 ($5.29/lb). Here's a great website with lots of recipes and info: http://quinoa365.com/

Click here for the recipe

Bree's Lentil Soup: I love this soup and it makes a giant pot! I skipped the cilantro and the fresh tomatoes.

Click here for the recipe

Here are the happy dinner guests:

2 comments: